QUIPS & QUOTES
"Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity."
"A person wrapped up in themselves makes a very small package.""It is better to be silent and be thought a fool,than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.""God gave us two ears and only one mouth for a reason."
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Wrong Assessment
My opinion of Anthony and his use of the cane has radically changed over time. I watched with serious regret as he caned almost every student in my English class for one infraction after another on Uniform Inspection Day. (It was his turn to do the inspections....a duty rotated through the staff.) Since this is their country, their culture, their school, and their rules and I am only a visitor, I stood there, next to Hajarah, their regular Ghanian teacher, in mute complicity. All the kids were crying by the time Anthony left. Every word spoken was in Fantse, so I had no way of knowing what the infractions were but I did know one thing: It was wrong. These were not behavior issues. These were, "I don't have access to a better uniform" issues. I mean, seriously? You're a poor African kid with no parents and you're supposed to find socks and mend your clothes? I am still seething. But knowing me, and knowing how unproductive it is to talk with people when I'm in this state, I will wait until my anger has subsided before I speak to the school director and suggest that they might try a positive reward system.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment