I, on the other hand, wore ugly denim pants and a paint shirt. :)
She did a fabulous job on her henna designs! She even wrote some Tamil words (Love, Peace, Patience, and Compassion) on her feet and was stoked when the Indian kids and staff could read them! She has become the resident "henna artist" here in the volunteer community.
Holly was given the opportunity to use her artistic talents to brighten up a very dull room which is the Star Store: e.g. a place where kids can cash in their "stars" which they earn for good scholastic achievement, good behavior, etc. Here she is walking towards that room and you can see a hallway in the girls' hostel.
Holly and I taped stencils on the wall and then began painting. It was fun but crazy because we needed 1 inch wide brushes but had 5 inch wise brushes. So, what we did was gather some of the bristles into a 1 inch bunch and dip that in the paint and then hold the other bristles out of the way. It was a two handed task which was even harder when we had to balance on the rickety ladder!
This all led me to coin the phrase: THERE IS NOTHING EASY IN INDIA!
Vadivu, me and Veeno ....both lovely ladies who work as House Mothers in the Girls' Hostel. Vadivu is helping Holly learn some Tamil. I gave up that hopeless endeavor when I found out there are 216 letters in the Tamil alphabet! YIKES!
Holly with our friends.
Holly and I absolutely LOVED working on the Star Store because, not only did it give us an opportunity to do something very pretty for a change, but it also is an activity which has a definite beginning and end. We can see the change in the room and know that our efforts will last for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment